14th Apr 2018
- ALWAYS wear a helmet, no exceptions!!
- Wear cycling gloves and sunglasses.
- Don’t ride your aero bars through town except in near zero traffic conditions. Your time delay in getting onto the brakes from the aero position may be the critical difference in avoiding an accident.
- Don’t ride a bike wearing headphones/ipod. Being able to hear cars approaching from behind is vital.
- If riding at night wear plenty of reflective clothing, don’t wear dark colours. Have plenty of lighting especially red tail lights.
- When approaching cars parked on your side of the road be wary of an opening door.
- Be careful on wet or icy wintry mornings. Watch the road surface for ice signs, don’t lean too much on the corners, and don’t apply too much front brake. Also avoid the road markings when wet, they can be very slippery.
- If you are riding in an event like the 100K Flyer get used to riding on someone else’s wheel and riding in a bunch.
- If you are heading out on a long ride make sure you take enough water, food, clothing, cash and your cell phone. Take at least one spare tyre/tube.
Weeks to Go Week Beginning Monday (easy) Wednesday (hard) Saturday or Sunday (easy)
12 25 December 10km 10km 10km
11 1 January 10km 15km 20km
10 8 January 10km 20km 30km
9 15 January 15km 25km 40km
8 22 January 15km 30km 40km
7 29 January 15km 35km 50km
6 5 February 20km 40km 60km
5 12 February 20km 45km 60km
4 19 February 25km 50km 70km
3 26 February 25km 50km 70km
2 5 March 30km 50km 70km
1 12 March 30km 40km EVENT DAY